I am not Martin Davies, the philosophy professor. If you are looking for him, he is at the University of Oxford. I am also not Martin Davies, the law professor. He is at the University of Melbourne Law School. Nor am I Martin Davies the writer of fiction. He is here. The four Martins are not identical.
I am an Associate Professor in Higher Education and Honorary Research Fellow (Economics) in the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Melbourne. Previously, I was a lecturer and Visiting Scholar in Philosophy at the Flinders University of South Australia from 1996-2002. I also briefly taught at the University of Adelaide and the University of Edinburgh.
My publications include: Experience and Content: Consequences of a Continuum Theory (Ashgate, 1996); The Philosophy of Sir William Mitchell (1861-1962): A Mind’s Own Place (Edwin Mellen Press, 2003), The Nature of Knowing: A Resource Manual for the International Baccalaureate (Ibid Press, 2006), Interdisciplinary Higher Education: Perspectives and Practicalities (Emerald, 2010). My most recent book is: Study Skills for International Postgraduates published with Palgrave MacMillan (2011). I am presently working with Emeritus Professors Ron Barnett (University of London) and Robert H. Ennis (University of Illinois) on an edited collection entitled Critical Thinking in Higher Education which will be published in 2013-14. See my Publications page for details.
I am married and have one son. My extra-mural interests include music, in particular, modern jazz music. I also like baroque music. I used to play classical guitar in the Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra in a previous incarnation. I enjoy bushwalking, travel, home renovation, Asian food and Australian wine.
BA (Deakin); BA (Hons) (Flinders) ; RSA CELTA (Cambridge); PhD (Flinders); GradDipEd; PhD (Adelaide).
Associate Professor in Higher Education and Honorary Research Fellow in Economics, Faculty of Business and Economics, The University of Melbourne
Current Research interests
- Critical Thinking, and how to Teach it
- Computer-Aided Argument Mapping
- Argumentation Theory and Informal Logic
- Cognitive Science and the Philosophy of Mind
- Interdisciplinary Higher Education
- New Media and New Literacies, the Challenges and Opportunities of Online learning
- Systemic Influences on Student Evaluation Surveys
- History of Australasian Philosophy, especially Idealist Perspectives
- The Nature of Knowledge
- Member, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasian (Victorian Branch) (2012)
- Chair, Higher Education Research and the Student Learning Experience International Conference, University of Melbourne (2012)
- Chair, Organising Committee, The Quantitative Analysis of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in Business, Economics and Commerce Disciplines, Annual Forum, University of Melbourne (2005-2011).
- Chair, Special Consideration Committee, Faculty of Business and Economics (2009-2012)
- Special Issue, Guest Editor, Journal of International Education in Business (2012-2013)
- Reviewer for IGI-Global Publications (2012-2013)
- Reviewer for Palgrave MacMillan Publishers (2011- present)
- Special Issue, Guest Editor, Higher Education Research and Development (2009-2011)
- Co-Editor, Higher Education Research and Development (2010-2011)
- Associate Editor Higher Education Research and Development (2009-2011)
- ALTC Assessor (2008-present)
- Reviewer for Cognition
- Reviewer for Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (2002-2006)
- Reviewer for Evaluation Forum, Evaluating to Improve the Student Experience, Perth (2006)
- Reviewer for Evaluations and Assessment Conference, Enhancing Student Learning, Perth (2006)
- Reviewer for Australasian Journal of Philosophy (1998-present)
- Reviewer for Behavioral and Brain Sciences
- Reviewer for Learning and Academic SkillsLa Trobe Conference Proceedings, Sources of Confusion, (2001)
- Reviewer for Learning and Academic Skills, Flinders Conference Proceedings, In the Future … (2003)
- Reviewer for International Review of Economics Education
- International English Language Testing System Examiner (2001–2003)