I am not Martin Davies, the philosophy professor. If you are looking for him, he is at the University of Oxford. I am also not Martin Davies, the law professor. He is at the University of Melbourne Law School. Nor am I Martin Davies the writer of fiction. He is here. The four Martins are not identical.
I am a Principal Fellow (Higher Education), Associate Professor level, in the Melbourne Graduate School of Education at the University of Melbourne. I also hold a continuing post as Senior Learning Advisor, Centre for Learning, Innovation and Professional Practice at Federation University Australia. Previously, I was an Associate Professor and Acting Director (2009-2013) and Honorary Fellow (Economics) at the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at the Faculty of Business and Economics. Prior to that I was a Lecturer and Visiting Scholar in Philosophy at the Flinders University of South Australia from 1996-2002. I also briefly taught Philosophy at the University of Adelaide and the University of Edinburgh. That’s my professional life in a nutshell.
I have published six books and around 80 scholarly publications, many in peer-reviewed journals. My most recent book is an edited collection (with Emeritus Professor Ronald Barnett from the Institute of Education, London) entitled The Palgrave Handbook on Critical Thinking in Higher Education. This was published in April 2015. It received a 5 stars rating on Amazon. See my Publications page for details. I also offer an educational and academic consultancy service (see Services).
I am married and have one son. My extra-mural interests include music, in particular, modern jazz music. I also like baroque music. I used to play classical guitar in the Melbourne Mandolin Orchestra in a previous incarnation. I enjoy bush walking, travel, home renovation, Asian food and Australian wine.
VERY SHORT RESUME
Certificate IV (Electronic Publishing); Certificate of Proficiency (Toolmaking); BA (Deakin); BA (Hons) (Flinders) ; RSA CELTA (Cambridge); PhD (Flinders); GradDipEd; PhD (Adelaide).
Download my long (academic-style) CV here. Download my short (corporate-style) CV here. My Google Citations Page is here. My Academia.edu, Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin and ResearchGate accounts are at the bottom of the page. I am interested in hearing from graduate students and researchers about potential research synergies.
Associate Professor/Principal Fellow in Higher Education, Melbourne Graduate School of Education, The University of Melbourne, and Senior Learning Advisor, Centre for Learning, Innovation and Professional Practice, Federation University Australia.
Current Research interests
My research interests are at the intersection of Higher Education and Philosophy.
- Citation Analytics
- Critical Thinking, and how to Teach it
- Computer-Aided Argument Mapping
- Argumentation Theory and Informal Logic
- Cognitive Science and the Philosophy of Mind
- Cognitive Science and Higher Education
- Interdisciplinary Higher Education
- New Media and New Literacies, the Challenges and Opportunities of Online learning
- Systemic Influences on Student Evaluation Surveys
- History of Australasian Philosophy, especially Idealist Perspectives
- The Nature of Knowledge, Epistemology
Professional Service (Summary only, see CV for details)
- Editorial Board: L. J. Shedley and J. S. Beaudry (Eds.), Cases on Teaching Critical Thinking through Visual Representation Strategies. (2014) Advances in Educational Technologies and Instructional Design Series. Hershey, PA: Information Science, IGI Global.
- Board Member, Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasian (Victorian Branch) (2012-13)
- Chair, Higher Education Research and the Student Learning Experience International Conference, University of Melbourne (2012)
- Chair, Organising Committee, The Quantitative Analysis of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education in Business, Economics and Commerce Disciplines, Annual Forum, University of Melbourne (2005-2011).
- Chair, Special Consideration Committee, Faculty of Business and Economics (2009-2013)
- Special Issue, Guest Editor, Journal of International Education in Business (2012-2014)
- Reviewer for IGI-Global Publications (2012-2013)
- Reviewer for Palgrave MacMillan Publishers (2011- present)
- Special Issue, Guest Editor, Higher Education Research and Development (2009-2011)
- Co-Editor, Higher Education Research and Development (2010-2011)
- Associate Editor Higher Education Research and Development (2009-2011)
- ALTC Assessor (2008-present)
- Reviewer for Cognition
- Reviewer for Higher Education Research and Development Society of Australasia (2002-2006)
- Reviewer for Australasian Journal of Philosophy (1998-present)
- Reviewer for Behavioral and Brain Sciences
- Reviewer for International Review of Economics Education
- International English Language Testing System Examiner (2001–2003).
- Inaugural President, Mordialloc College Alumni Association (est. 2014, Chair of an 12-person committee dedicated to raising funds to support public education).